Saturday, October 11, 2014

TOY NEWS FOR 10/11/2014 - NYCC - PLAY ARTS KAI - HALO, PREDATOR and NEW "VARIANT" MARVEL SERIES

***Pics courtesy of toyark.com***

There was a ton of figures on display from Square Enix/Play Arts, but I'm only going to hit the highlights here.

First up is this awesome Master Chief figure from, obviously, Halo-- in this case, Halo 2. Play Arts does an amazing job with armored characters and metallic paint schemes, so this one should definitely be among one of their best.


There are also two Predator figure heading our way. One is from Play Arts' "Variant" series, meaning it's an original design by the Square Enix team, while the other seems to be a more stylized version of the original movie Predator. Both look absolutely awesome.





Also coming on 2015 is a figure of the popular Japanese "virtual" pop star Hatsune Miku.


And finally, the last thing I want to show you is the new Marvel "Variant" line. Yes, after years of producing DC figures, Play Arts has finally secured the license to do Marvel figures, as well. I had always said that the DC Variant line was awesome looking, but being more of a Marvel guy, I passed and hoped for some Marvel figures at some point-- and now, here they are!

The only figure on display was-- of course-- Iron Man, with the second figure, Spider-Man, being shown as an illustrated design.

Yes, I was hoping for a Marvel Variant line from Play Arts, but to be honest, I don't know how I feel about it yet... I don't like the black on Iron Man's armor. It's a weird mix. Red, yellow and black? I know in the comics right now that he's black and yellow, and I would have been cool with that, but mixing all three just looks odd. Also, the Spider-Man design looks kinda weird. I guess I'm just not used to seeing the heroes I've read the most in my lifetime looking so different. Once I get a look at some of these in person I'll know for sure if I'm in or out.






No comments:

Post a Comment