Monday, March 17, 2014

TOY NEWS FOR 3/17/2014 - PLAYMATES - TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MOVIE FIGURES

Ugh.

Okay, maybe kids will eat up these TMNT designs from the new movie, but for an old-schooler like me, these are a horrible bastardization of my beloved Turtles.

I guess my generation is just in the past. They've revamped all my old favorites for either new cartoons or movies-- Transformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, and not TMNT-- and I haven't really liked any of them.

Okay, I know that this isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. I know that kids need something more... current. Something shiny and complex and "cool", but sometimes the classic designs are classic for a reason. But, at this point, I'm just going to have to realize that I'm probably just stuck in the past and a bit out of touch with what captures the imagination of the younger crowd these days.

(Although Marvel has kept with their original character designs-- for the most part-- with their movies and they do far better than other movies that don't, like X-Men; so maybe that says something.)

So what do you guys think of these Turtle designs? Are they exactly what you wanted to see, or are they a freakish mess?


DONATELLO


LEONARDO


MICHAELANGELO


RAPHAEL

1 comment:

  1. These are atrocious. Even the new Nickelodeon series has managed to stay (for the most part) true to the original version of the Turtles, so I'm not sure why this movie revamp has to skew so far off from that.

    One of the greatest things about the four Turtles is that they have unique personalities that display their way of thinking. What these renderings appear to have done is take that vision of their personalities and turn them into visual clichés. The perfect example of this is Michelangelo. He's a party guy, so naturally he has to be decked out like some poser.

    This is just awful, and I personally don’t understand why Michael Bay keeps running rampant over my childhood.

    ReplyDelete